In conversation with: BSc Psychology in Education graduate Gayathrie Sunil

Have you ever wondered what it might be like to study an undergraduate degree at the School of Education as an international student?

Gayathrie Sunil recently graduated from the School with a BSc in Psychology in Education. Now, she is here to tell you all about her experience of studying with us for the past three years.

Gayathrie on her graduation day in July 2024

Tell us a bit about you!

Hi! I’m Gayathrie Sunil, a third-culture kid, born and adopted in Kerala. I lived in China, Madras, and Nigeria before moving to Bangalore for high school. My undergraduate degree in Psychology and Education is from the University of Bristol.

One of the most significant aspects of my life is my passion for teaching and working with children, a passion that was ignited early on when I was growing up with two brothers. This passion, coupled with my diverse upbringing, has not only shaped my perspective but also instilled in me a deep joy in connecting with and supporting others.

What inspired you to study a Psychology in Education undergraduate degree at the School of Education? 

I was inspired to study for a BSc in Psychology in Education because this unique course is only offered in the UK. The programme’s combination of psychology and education is fascinating, especially seeing psychological theories play out in real-world educational settings.

The ‘Education in Practice’ module, which includes a placement, was beautiful to me as it allowed for hands-on experience, helping to bridge the gap between theory and practice. This course aligned perfectly with my passion for understanding both how children learn and grow academically and emotionally.                         

What elements of your course did you most enjoy, and why?

I particularly enjoyed several modules in my course, including ‘Learning Lives,’ ‘Cognitive Psychology and Special Education,’ ‘Curriculum Design for Learning,’ ‘Education in Practice,’ and ‘The Cognitive Neuroscience of Learning and Learning Difficulty.’ These modules were intellectually stimulating and offered diverse perspectives on how children learn and how to support those with learning difficulties.

The hands-on experience from my placement was invaluable, allowing me to apply theoretical knowledge in real-world settings.

I also appreciated the varied teaching styles of my professors and the well-structured format of lectures and seminars, which facilitated more profound engagement with the material. 

Gayathrie with her family on her graduation day in July 2024

What did you like about living and studying in Bristol?

Coming from a big city, I was surprised by how much I loved moving to Bristol – a smaller city. I appreciated how everything was within walking distance, the city’s safety, and the people’s friendliness.

Being in the UK for the first time as an international student made me nervous, but I quickly fell in love with Bristol. My favourite places to study were Wills Memorial, the Arts and Social Sciences Library, and The Merchant Venturers Building.

What are your plans now that you have graduated? 

Now that I have graduated, I am pursuing a PGCE at the University of Cambridge for General Primary. I plan to work until I obtain my Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and then travel the world, teaching in American international schools.

In the long term, I aspire to specialise in special education, where I can make a meaningful impact on children with unique learning needs. 

What are your top tips for students thinking about studying at the School of Education?

1. Do not limit your social circle in your first year – get out there and meet as many people as possible. Join a variety of societies; the University offers so many opportunities!

2. Interact with your course mates and professors and build a strong connection with your tutor.

3. Make the most of everything the School of Education and Bristol offer because these three years will fly by quicker than expected. 

A huge thank you to Gayathrie for sharing her experience of studying with us – we wish her all the best of luck for the future! 

Find out more about our undergraduate programmes:

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2025/education/

Visit the University of Bristol at our Undergraduate Open Day

Visit us on campus on Saturday 26th October 2024 to find out about the student experience at Bristol.

Listen to subject talks in the School of Education, chat with our expert staff and students, explore our beautiful campus and the vibrant city of Bristol,  and find out more about the courses we offer.

Book your place now!