Open Day 2022: School of Education undergraduate student Q & A

Kiera Stevens BSc Psychology in Education studentName: Kiera Stevens | Degree Programme: BSc Psychology in Education

Hi there, would you mind telling us a little bit about yourself?

My name is Kiera, I’m British/South African but I grew up all over the world. My family is currently based in Singapore and has been for the last 7 years, so when I’m not at uni, I’m at home in the tropics! I’m a huge book nerd and love musical theatre. When I’m at uni, you can mostly find me in a coffee shop or running the Education Society. When I’m not at uni, I work in equine assisted psychotherapy which has been a life-altering experience and makes me want to own every horse I see! I am my happiest when I’m travelling with my friends and my family though or by the pool!

Which course did you choose to study and why?

I chose to study Psychology in Education which was truly a last minute decision. Up until the summer before UCAS applications had to be sent off, I was set on going to Bristol for straight psychology because I wanted to go into occupational therapy. I always had a passion for helping people and did not have the passion for maths and chemistry to do medicine! On a whim, I was flicking through my prospectus and saw Psychology in Education and it just felt right. It opened so many doors for me that I had never considered.

Why did you choose the School of Education, University of Bristol for your studies?

I remember the day and the exact moment that I knew it had to be Bristol or bust. I came to the undergrad open day in June of 2018 for the Psych in Ed course and at the end of the day, I was stood outside of Wills with my parents. I looked up at the building and felt at peace. I just knew that Bristol was the city I needed to be in. It felt like everything I was looking for – city campus, great social vibe and the people were quirky in a great way. I had the opportunity to speak to Julia Paulson (a lecturer on the course at the time) and to hear her give a sample lecture and it felt like I just lit up. The course ticked all the boxes and the lecturers had the passion for the subject that I wanted.

What do you hope to do when you’ve completed your degree?

I just recently accepted an offer to stay in Bristol for my Masters with the School of Education. If all goes well, I’ll begin a Master’s in Education and Neuroscience in the Autumn. The end goal for me is Educational Psychology and definitely a lot more travelling along the way.

And finally, do you have any advice or tips for people who are thinking about studying Education, and living in Bristol?

As an international student who spent more of my degree online than in person, don’t let the fear of being away from home stop you from coming. The School of Education has been so supportive of my personal circumstances over the course of my degree and I felt right at home from the beginning. There are so many societies that the university has to offer, including the SoE’s very own Education Society, that you will never be bored in Bristol that’s for sure! In terms of education, what Bristol does well, is places a focus on international education which, due to my upbringing, was beyond fascinating for me.

Find out more about our BSc Education Studies and BSc Psychology in Education programmes:

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/education/ 

Visit the University of Bristol at our Undergraduate Open Day

Visit us on campus on Saturday 10th September 2022 to find out about the student experience at Bristol.

Listen to subject talks in the School of Education, chat with our expert staff and students, explore our beautiful campus and the vibrant city of Bristol,  and find out more about the courses we offer. Book your place now!